Panettone Bread and Butter Pudding
200ml sweet dessert wine
300ml double cream
1 vanilla pod
4 egg yolks
150g caster sugar
1) Soak the sultanas with the dessert wine for at least 2hrs or preferably overnight.
2) Preheat the oven to 180C/ 350F/ gas mark 4.
3) In a pan, pour the milk, cream and add the egg yolks and sugar. Slice the vanilla pod length ways and remove the seeds with the tip of the knife and add to the mixture. Whisk them together before adding the pan to a medium low heat for 3mins, whisking constantly. Drain the sultanas and pour the drained dessert wine into the milky mixture and leave to cool down.
4) Remove the crust from the panettone (and enjoy..) and slice the rest into 2cm slices.
5) Add the slices to the bottom of an oven proof dish and cover with half of the milky mixture. Scatter the soaked sultanas and layer more slices of panettone until it reaches the top of the dish and cover everything with the rest of the milky mixture. Leave to absorb for 5mins.
6) Add a few small knobs of butter around the corners of the dish and place in the preheated oven for 35-40mins. You'll know it's done, when you have a crispy topping and a luxurious, firm, creamy centre.
7) Leave to cool until it reaches room temperature and enjoy either on its own, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or warm custard.
Posted by Luna's Recipes at 16:44